10. Because I’m rational and fairy stories don’t do it for me anymore as I came into the age of reason and put childish things aside.
9. I grew up watching Star Trek which instilled in the depths of my subconscious Gene Roddenberry’s wonderful humanist philosophy. Spock is a better role model than Moses or the Prophet Muhammad, if you ask me.
8. I actually read the Bible. All of it. And I found it had lots of bad bits, and it contradicts itself a lot, but only in the coherent sections. Only Atheism leaves me with no cognitive dissidence.
7. Science just makes more sense to me than talking snakes, chatty internally combustible shrubbery, talking asses, magical fruit, wrestling supernatural beings in the manner of Heracles, angels having sexual escapades with women, giants, titans, leviathans, seven headed dragons, unicorns, virgin births, being turned into a pillar of salt, the undead roaming the streets, demonic pigs, clover hoofed devils, magic technicolor dream coats, and did I mention the magical talking snake?
6. There are better sources for ethical behavior, good conduct, and morality than the Bible. I call them humanist and naturalist ‘appreciations’ and I have a link to a sampling of them on my website Advocatus Atheist.
5. I love physics and cosmology with a passion; and everything in modern physics is telling us and pointing toward our universe having a natural origin.
4. The coming of the Four Horsemen, aka Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Daniel C. Dennett, and Christopher Hitchens and all the other philosophers and free thinkers, from Socrates to Spinoza, from Hobbes to Hume, from Kant to Marx, from Paine to Harris, from Ingersoll to Twain, from Freud to Dennett, from Einstein to Stenger, from Darwin to Dawkins, all have contributed to the debate and have left an enduring legacy of the utmost rationalism, and have tirelessly upheld and defended reason, free inquiry, free speech, and freedom from the oppressive shackles of religion.
3. The inadequate and illogical arguments offered as a defense of the Christian position and the lackluster, barely literate, often uninformed, unverified, unfounded, frequently unintelligible, biased polemic, and thrice regurgitated faith based apologetics in general just don’t convince me and my overwhelming need to weigh the evidence and think critically.
2. A blasphemous venomous radioactive spider bit me and I turned atheist.
and the number one reason I’m an atheist is…
1. Atheists are sexy as hell!